Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Try, try again

Well, looks like it'll be awhile before we can curtail Aubrie's spit up volume. I was hoping that introducing solids would help (as I've been told it strengthens the eosophogas). I wanted to wait till 24 weeks to introduce solids, but because we are doubtful that allergies will be a problem, I thought we could try it earlier. No go... Aubrie wanted NOTHING to do with cereal. So, I guess we'll give it a go in a week or so. Till then, it's LOTS of clothing changes, bibs, spit-up cloths... fun times!

The sleep training is going well, though not perfect. It still often takes her a good 10-20 minutes to go down for a nap, and sometimes as much as an hour for bed. I often have to return to her room several times. BUT, it does have lots of bonuses. I love the fact that when she cries, no matter how hard she's crying, all I have to do is return to the room and put my hand on her head, and she's quiet and her eyes close automatically. It's awesome to know that she finds that much comfort in my presence. Though, I guess that's going to be a difficult habit to break down the road! I also love that as she falls asleep, I rub her hair... when I stop, if she isn't asleep enough, she starts rubbing it herself, as if to tell me not to stop. Now, she will also start rubbing her hair if she's tired and we are out and about. It's her way of saying "sleepy time mom!".

I also love that she's adoped a new sleep position. She lays partly on her side, partly on her back, and just TOSSES her head WAY back. It looks ridiculously uncomfortable, but I know that when she turns to that position, she's DONE. She wants no more comforting, she just wants me to leave so she can sleep.

It's so wondeful to finally be at a time when I can really read Aubrie. She can't talk, but she has enough skills now to let me know what she wants. It makes things so much easier.

Now, if only she could keep her food in her belly!

2 comments:

Randi said...

Oh let's talk spit up! I thought it was just me! Landon is horrible and everyone told me, "oh it's just boys that do that" Now I know girls can do this too! I thought introducing solids would help too. (He loves rice cereal, not a huge fan of green beans and carrots though.) So now when he DOES eat some green beans and carrots, the spit up is now green and orange. YUM! The rice helps some, ok... it makes it more of a "thick" spit up, instead of the regular runny, snotty kind! Is everyone's tummy churning now? :)

Anonymous said...

Conner used to never spit up and now I'm washing his burp cloths every other day :( I hate that when we leave the house he looks cute and when I go to get him out of his car seat he's COVERED in it...