Thursday, June 01, 2006

Day 1...

Well, after several hours of frustration last night (again) trying to get Aubrie down to sleep... I've decided that it's time she learns how to go to sleep on her own. The rocking/walking/bouncing to sleep thing just isn't working well these days, as she really thrashes about and fights it. So, today begins the battle...

We tried at the first nap today at 9:30am. It didn't work so well... I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do the cry-it-out/check-and-console method, or the stay-in-the-room method that Tracy Hogg recommends. I started with the C&C method, but moved to staying in the room. After an hour, I thought that it just wasn't going to work. But, finally, after about 15 more minutes, she fell asleep. It required some head rubbing and a hand on her tummy, but she did eventually go to sleep without rocking.

I fear how long this will take to "catch". I fear that I won't be able to stay consistent. I fear the loss of my sanity. I know it's something she needs to learn, and I know that it's better to do it sooner, rather than later... but man am I not looking forward to it!

So... if I'm absent for a few days, you'll all know why! Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Randi said...

Sending ya lots of luck and positive vibes!!! You CAN do it!!

Anonymous said...

It sucks. I hated it so much. But I can't even begin to tell you how liberating it is to put Conner down for the night with no bouncing, rocking, nursing OR crying anymore.

Just listen to your gut - if it doesn't feel right, then don't push it. Good luck!!