Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My child hates me...

Just when I thought I might get some good news at a midwife appt... I find out that baby girl has dropped a bit (yay) in the wrong position (very much NOT yay). Occipital Posterior... otherwise known as "I am screwed because I have scoliosis and OP means back labor". I really thought I would be able to avoid this with proper "positioning". I'm told it's still a possibility, if I spend the next 2 weeks on my hands and knees at every waking opportunity. In fact, if I could sleep like that, all the better. Yipee for me. No sitting on the couch anymore. So much for enjoying my long wait. Oh, and to make it even more reassuring, here's what I read when I look it up on babyzone...

"Face-up, called Occipital Posterior (back of the head down), is a more difficult delivery because the baby can't flex the head on exit. It's like delivering a baby a pound bigger. It's not impossible, but it's more difficult to push with effectiveness, and the pushing stage of labor can last longer than usual."

Ok... any time they have to preface with "not impossible"... you know it sucks. Couldn't they just say more difficult. For some reason, when people say something is not impossible... it automatically makes you think that it is sooooo horribly bad that many may think it is impossible. It's not impossible to climb Everest... does that make you want to try?

Ok... I'm just bummed...

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It IS possible to deliver a baby that way... I did it. Hunter is wonderful and perfect. I guess, though, that it sucks to know what is coming instead of being overcome with the back labour and not knowing what is was, then figuring out the baby's position after pushing for an hour with no movement....
You can do it!

Anonymous said...

Cari, that sucks! I'm sorry you recieved such *wonderful* news at your appt. But your m/w is right - there is time for her to get facing the right way. I have an appt today and although I've decided I don't want any pelvic exams, I'm dying to know what position he's in. But in all honesty, I'd rather not know so I won't be overcome with anxiousness these last few weeks.

I hope your baby girl turns for you!! and you can do it!