Saturday, July 01, 2006

Can moms be too relaxed?

This has been my question since Aubrie's check up this week. I didn't have any questions or concerns for her doctor, so the visit was really really quick. He didn't even check much (no length, or head measurements)... which may have been due to my apparent lack of concern, or maybe because Aubrie didn't like him much and screamed the whole time. Who knows. Aubrie weighed 13lbs 5oz... only a 1 pound gain since her 4mo shots. But, we know she's a fairly petite girl, so it wasn't much of a concern there either.

Don't get me wrong, I worry about Aubrie all the time! Especially at night, when I'm not right next to her. My head is constantly full of worries. That is why I don't fret about the stuff that doesn't seem too important to me. I know she's growing, I know she's healthy, so I'd just rather not dwell on the millions of "what ifs" or stress about every little *possible* sign of something looming (which there hasn't really been). As a result, I often get people commenting that I'm an "unusual first-time-mom". Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

I also don't fret over germs. Germs are around. We can't possibly get away from them. Some germs are good. I can't keep Aubrie from putting every little thing in her mouth (though, I do try if it's sharp or swallow-able), so if she picks up a toy with a little dog hair on it, so be it. Or, if she picks up a friends toy, or touches a friend's slimy drooled-on hands... no big deal. I keep a clean house, and I figure that's enough. I stopped boiling all her water and sanitizing every toy and soother quite some time ago. Some moms think I'm crazy. But she's never had as much as a sniffle, so I figure her immune system is doing its job, right?

Why is it that everyone expects first-time-moms to be so concerned about all these things. Is it bad when we aren't? I don't know. I just know I do what I have to do to stay sane. And that's a good thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I was seen as a "different" first time mom as well. I was never that over-anxious. Taking things in my stride. Weird that people expect all first time moms to be the same

Anonymous said...

You mean it's bad when I *sanitize* Conner's paci by sticking it in my mouth first to clear it of any debris before giving it to him??

I'm not a germophobe either and I def. think exposure to some germs are great. I worry too that I should be more concered about that stuff, but alas, I'm not. Oh well - maybe I should save that for your confessions Wednesday...

Elizabeth said...

hahaha I can relate to the too-laid-0back thing. Hunter eats whatever he can find when we are outside. I figure.. bah, he'll soon learn!

Anonymous said...

Testing... testing...

For all the "non-blogger" lurkers...