Friday, December 23, 2005

Wonderful, wonderful sleep

It still really baffles me that we are "meant"/"programmed" to have many sleepless nights at the end of pregnancy. It's so distressing. I mean, here I am, thinking now is the best time to stock up... and I'm wide awake at 2am, totally frustrated!

But, alas... not last night!!! Last night, I slept amazingly for almost 11 hours. Most of it, uninterrupted! I was terrified of going to sleep too, as the previous night I had been rudely awokened by horrible heartburn (which I've never really had before) that kept me awake in a chair most of the night (and terribly uncomfortable). I figured that this would be the way life is until baby decides to finally drop (which, I was told, they almost always do by 36 weeks for a first baby.... of course... not for me... I get to wait it out).

Aaahhh, blissfull sleep. If that's the last one I get for years to come, I shall enjoy it thoroughly in my mind and relish its wonderful effects.

Today, I have all the energy in the world to tackle the crazy number of lists I have written for myself (blame my father... that man loves lists). Too bad all these people left Christmas preparations to the last minute, or I could go tackle the mall errands and whatnot today. But no... that'll have to wait till the crazies leave the stores.

Yesterday was another midwife appt. I told quiet midwife (still haven't figured out a better name for her) about all the apprehensions that had been building and lurking in my head essentially since I found out that my now favorite midwife is unlikely to be at the birth. I told both quiet and Scottish midwife about my concerns about having favorite midwife (now I've changed her name) at the birth. They took it quite well (I didn't want to offend them, but I'm attached to favorite midwife), and really tried to console me. Unfortunately, they made me feel worse. I ended up feeling that they were kind of imposing their ideas on me... making me feel quite vulnerable and upset about the whole upcoming ordeal. So, I expressed that yesterday and the quiet midwife assured me that it was not the intention at all. They would be there to ensure that the birth went as I wanted it to, and safely. I'm just glad she knows I'm apprehensive. It was a weight off my shoulders.

In terms of baby, all is fine. She's still measuring small, though they won't wager a size yet. 34.5 cm at almost 37 weeks. Still not dropped, but contently in the optimal position (what a smart little girl!!).

My bets are still on Jan 22 or 23... my hopes are on 6 lbs 10 oz...

No comments: